Friday 2 December 2011

Rustic Christmas Gift Wrapping

I had planned to make a snowflake wreath from homemade modelling clay and a cookie cutter and they failed after baking.  They came out puffy and uneven which was the opposite of what I was going for.  I put them aside figuring I would think of something to do with them later.

When I decided I wanted my gifts wrapped very simply this year, I realized these were the (im)perfect things to decorate with. 






After wrapping the gifts with brown postal paper, I cut strips out of very loosely woven burlap - the kind used to wrap small evergreens for the winter.  I glued the strips around the boxes and then tied jute twine over them, then glued on the snowflakes.

Here's the recipe for basic modelling clay:

1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups salt
3/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

Knead the dough and mold into shapes, baking in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned for up to an hour. Store unused dough in an airtight container and knead again before using, adding a bit of oil if needed.

1 comment: